Thinking of Julia

I spent most of my time in Paris thinking of Julia Childs and humming the theme song to the movie Julie and Julia.


Thru most of the weekend, our table looked pretty much as the picture above. I actually only intended to sample a few sweets and ended up sampling much much more! The only place I had in mind to eat was Laduree and Angelina's on the rue de Rivoli. Both were highly recommended and we had breakfast in both and were delighted. Mr. H. suggested we just go to Paris, relax, enjoy the people, the cafes and take our time. I looked at him incredulously because I had my list and could not imagine how I would cover it in two full days. Men!  But then....we arrived and there was one cafe after another and those pretty little blackboards filled with delicious sounding things just called out to us. Fortunately for me, my daughter CE was just as intrigued and excited as I to try it all.


How could we not?
Here are the highlights of my absolute favourite dishes
Foie Gras and a little pot of warm carmelised onions to accompany the dish
French Onion Soup with cheese broiled to perfection and fresh sourdough bread
Chateaubriand with Foie Gras emulsion served with baby potatoes sauteed in garlic and butter
Beef Bourguignon that just melted in your mouth
There is more but I will stop there. It is only 9:45 am and this is making me hungry!  And what did we do after all of this? We walked and walked and walked and climbed stairs to take away the guilt. Lucky for us it worked, and we went back for more! We stayed in a hotel along the rue de Rivoli and took a long stroll thru the Jardin des Tuileries.






The last photo is my favourite of the trip.
You can read more at my photo blog,
PS..more to follow tomorrow :)


Images from Julie and Julia via Google
Images of food via postcards purchased in Paris
Images of Jardine des Tuileries taken by me

Comments

  1. I have LOVED reading about your trip to Paris, how wonderful! And Laduree looked AMAZING!

    Loved the photo of the man in the red scarf too :)

    Thank you so much for your lovely comments on my blog....I quite agree, France is wonderful but to me Italy is an endless love affair!

    Have a lovely day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That last photo is absolutely lovely, and I'm so tempted now to hop on a plane. The French do lifestyle better than me. I'm glad you had such a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just beautiful... am so enjoying... no - make that lapping up your every moment in France...
    S xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your trip has sounded so wonderful. Paris is a lot about the food, so good on you for eating your way through it!! Food is one of the most important parts of any holiday we go on...and , of couse , a little drink now and again !!
    We have been to Italy for the past two years for our holiday....I am like Simone, Italy has to be my favourite but France comes a close second.
    Paris is a most beautiful city and , if we want, we are lucky enough to be able to go for the day on Eurostar.
    It's funny though, as much as I go to London, I still get a thrill when I go there. To me , London is my favourite city in the world.(Oh, I'm so patriotic !!)
    I hope there is more of your Paris trip to come.
    Your photos are great. The last one really sums up an older French man. Brilliant. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think you can be in a place like Paris and not eat, but in places like that the eating is usually offset by walking so its all good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paris - I dream of going there one day. Beautiful photos and I can see why the last is your favorite. A quintessential Parisian. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well you worked off all those calories, so it's all good. Gorgeous photos, Jeanne! Can't wait until tomorrow to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paris is my favorite city and I just love Paris in the springtime. Everything is just so pretty, and inspirational. But there are almost two years since I went to Paris last time so thank you for letting me revisit it in spirit.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Can I just say....that I so enjoy what YOU have to say. If you would like to write to me directly, I would love to hear from you... jeannecollageoflife@gmail.com

Popular Posts